Whether you’re a skincare minimalist or an enthusiast with a 12-step night skincare routine (no judgment here!), you’ve likely found a place for a face serum with vitamin C on your skincare shelf. What you may not know is that vitamin C belongs to a powerful group of skincare ingredients known as antioxidants. If your goal is youthful-looking skin (and really, whose isn’t?), you’ll want to read on to learn all about the benefits of antioxidants in skincare. Spoiler: Glowy skin is definitely on the list!
What are Antioxidants and What do They do for Skin?
Antioxidants are naturally occurring substances that act as a shield against free radicals—unstable atoms that cause damage to cells. Free radical damage is triggered by sources of internal and external stressors (think: UV exposure, lack of sleep, pollution, and poor nutrition just to name a few). Without the help of antioxidants, free radical damage can lead to common skin concerns such as lack of firmness, fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin texture and skin discoloration.
As we age, the levels of antioxidants our skin naturally produces slowly depletes. However, with the power of topical antioxidants, we can hack this process by protecting the skin. Enter: antioxidants in skincare. “Topical products containing antioxidants have been shown to be effective in replenishing these antioxidants and protecting the skin against the damaging effects of free radicals produced by normal cellular metabolism or UV damage,”1 according to a study published in the Journal of The American Academy of Dermatology.
Common antioxidants in skincare include vitamin C, vitamin E, ferulic acid, retinol, niacinamide and resveratrol. By introducing skincare with antioxidants into your lineup, you’re already on your way to better-looking skin by curbing the effects of sun damage—one of the leading causes of premature skin aging.
Why Antioxidants Belong in Your Night Skincare Routine
Ever wondered why there’s such a major focus on night skincare routines, especially for aging skin? There’s compelling science to back up this skincare norm. Human skin cell regeneration has been shown to be 30 times higher at night than in the day. With this rise in skin cell turnover and DNA repair, the skin also experiences the highest levels of moisture loss and increased permeability.1 Using antioxidants in your skincare at this crucial point of elevated skin absorption can compensate for the changes your skin experiences overnight. Also, with increased skin absorption at night, it’s more likely that your products will actually be absorbed into skin (where they can work their magic!).
Thinking of what skincare products to use tonight? Keep in mind that the best night serums and moisturizers seal in the hydration lost during sleep and contain active ingredients—like antioxidants. Add an antioxidant serum to your night routine and see changes to dull skin, uneven skin tone, hyperpigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles and more.
Meet IT’s Best Antioxidant Serum with Triple the Goodness
For the ultimate antioxidant boost (which will translate to glowy skin), use a face serum with vitamin C plus powerful supporting antioxidants, like Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Triple Antioxidant Brightening Serum, which combines vitamin C, ferulic acid and polydatin.
Clinical studies have shown that combining topical vitamin C with other ingredients, like ferulic acid, can help repair the effects of sun damage3. Within our formula, ferulic acid acts as a stabilizer that boosts the efficacy of vitamin C. It’s also coupled with polydatin, a resveratrol derivative and natural antioxidant, for a serum with even more skin tone-evening properties.
Dr. Julia Tzu, dermatologist and IT Cosmetics Advisory Board Member, explains how it works: “One way to improve the look of visible signs of skin aging is by helping the skin combat damaging free radicals from environmental stressors. Infused with antioxidants, Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Serum boosts your skin’s antioxidant protection while reducing the look of fine lines and wrinkles after just 4 weeks.”
Why You’ll Love Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Triple Antioxidant Brightening Serum
Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Triple Antioxidant Brightening Serum is the first serum of its kind in the IT Cosmetics lineup. It goes beyond your average vitamin C serum by providing up to 24HR hydration and a strengthened skin moisture barrier with just one use. The trio of antioxidants in our patented* blend is specially formulated to neutralize free radicals to defend against early signs of skin aging and provide visible radiance overnight.**
Our formula features the most potent concentrations of vitamin C, ferulic acid and polydatin on the market for real results you can instantly feel (some users report a slight warming sensation) and see!
- 12% Vitamin C
- Our formula contains 12% of pure vitamin C, also known as L-ascorbic acid, which is one of the most biologically active and highly researched types of vitamin C. Our vitamin C-packed formula helps visibly improve skin radiance for glowy skin.
- 1.5% Ferulic Acid
- This powerful antioxidant is known to enhance vitamin C efficacy by boosting its well-known benefits. Our formula with ferulic acid helps neutralize free radicals that are responsible for the appearance of visible, premature signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles.
- .5% Polydatin
- This resveratrol derivative obtained from Japanese knotweed acts as an antioxidant and promotes improved skin tone with its anti-darkening and photoprotection properties. Our formula can help improve skin tone evenness.
How to Apply Our Antioxidant Night Serum
- Use Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Triple Antioxidant Brightening Serum every night.
- After cleansing your skin, apply 1 pump to clean fingertips and rub them together to warm, then evenly disperse it onto your face.
- Gently massage into skin, allowing the product to fully absorb. Be sure to avoid your eye area and lips.
- For the ultimate Beauty Sleep experience, layer a dime size amount of Confidence in Your Beauty Sleep Night Cream!
With consistent use of the right anti-aging products, including an antioxidant serum and night cream before bed, and a hydrating moisturizer and SPF application in the morning, getting the skin of your dreams, and slowing down the progress of sun damage, is possible at any age or with any skin type.
Now that you’ve learned about the benefits of antioxidants in skincare, discover more of IT Cosmetics’ best-selling anti-aging products in our guide: What Anti-Aging Ingredients Are Best for Mature Skin?
Shop This Post
**Based on a clinical study conducted over 8 weeks with overnight radiance observed after one night.
- Clinical evaluation of an antioxidant gel cream containing vitamin C, ferulic acid, and phloretin on photodamaged skin. (2011). Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 64(2). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2010.09.119
- Matsui, M. S., Pelle, E., Dong, K., & Pernodet, N. (2016). Biological Rhythms in the Skin. International journal of molecular sciences, 17(6), 801. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17060801
- Murray, J. C., Burch, J. A., Streilein, R. D., Iannacchione, M. A., Hall, R. P., & Pinnell, S. R. (2008). A topical antioxidant solution containing vitamins C and E stabilized by ferulic acid provides protection for human skin against damage caused by ultraviolet irradiation. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 59(3), 418–425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2008.05.004