Each season of life sees growth and opportunity for change—and your skincare routine should change as you do. it’s important to use the best anti-aging skincare and makeup for your ever-evolving skin. Our skin changes over the years, and the National Institute on Aging notes that mature skin produces less moisture, has more fine lines and wrinkles, and can even feel thinner.1
This delicate texture can make applying foundation and concealer to mature skin trickier for some. When skin isn’t correctly cared for or prepped, you’ll likely experience concealer creasing, flaking foundation, an uneven application, or caking. Sound familiar? Keep scrolling because ahead we’re sharing how to apply makeup for older women—including a well-kept secret step that can make a huge difference!
We’re also showcasing IT Cosmetics’ best foundation for mature skin along with our best concealer for mature skin so you can feel confident every time you apply your makeup.
How Can I Make My Foundation Look Smoother with Mature Skin?
Whether you prefer a sheer makeup base or more coverage, follow this advice on applying foundation to mature skin for a glowing, even complexion.
1. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
As with many things in life, a little prep work can go a long way when applying foundation. The American Academy of Dermatology explains that we produce less sebum, an oil that keeps skin soft and youthful, as we get older; by our 40s sebum production drops dramatically and after 40 that amount just keeps waning. In fact, by age 60 nearly everyone has dry skin.2
It’s important to replenish lost moisture with a skincare routine that offers nourishing hydration and some plumping action. Otherwise, applying foundation to dry skin will likely emphasize fine lines, wrinkles, flaking, and uneven texture.
Boost hydration from the start by washing your face with a hydrating cleanser, such as Confidence in a Cleanser. Next, plump the look of fine lines and wrinkles by applying a hyaluronic acid serum to damp skin. Bye Bye Lines Hyaluronic Acid Serum is basically like a drink for thirsty skin, and you’ll see results immediately. Give that 30 seconds to fully absorb before applying a creamy moisturizer.
- Our best moisturizer for mature skin: Confidence in a Cream Anti-Aging Hydrating Moisturizer. This quick-absorbing formula features a patented Anti-Aging Armour Rejuvenating Concentrate. Not only does it deliver up to 48 hours of hydration, but it helps target common signs of aging over time.
Pro Tip: The process of layering various moisturizers is referred to as a “moisture sandwich,” and it’s a game-changer when applying makeup for mature skin.
2. Apply Makeup Primer
Along with hydrated and plumped skin, you’ll want to apply a makeup primer to prevent foundation and concealer from settling into lines or smudging throughout the day. Makeup primer also helps smooth the appearance of uneven texture by visibly “filling in” fine lines and minimizing the look of large pores.
As a bonus, makeup primer is another layer of hydration you can add to that moisture sandwich, which we see as a more-is-more approach. Whether you’re applying makeup over 50 or you’re in your teens, primer is a key step of the beauty process.
- Best primer for mature skin: Your Skin But Better Makeup Primer+ Oil-Free essentially acts as a real-life filter for your face. It extends the wear of your makeup, visibly refines pores, and adds hydration. This formula is suitable for all skin types, including people with sensitive skin.
3. Choose Liquid Foundation
Lightweight, liquid foundations that provide medium to full coverage and offer a dewy, luminous finish are the best makeup for older women. These formulas help minimize uneven skin tone while gliding over fine lines and wrinkles (versus making them more pronounced).
Conversely, ultra-thick and heavy foundations are more likely to settle into lines and look cakey on the skin, and dry powder foundations can soak up moisture and lead to flaking or pronounced lines. Remember, the goal is natural luminosity that allows your beautiful, hydrated skin to shine through.
- Best foundation for mature skin: Your Skin But Better Foundation + Skincare is a buildable, medium-coverage foundation that minimizes the look of imperfections and large pores. The formula also includes micro-fine pearl powder, which creates a naturally radiant finish that helps visibly minimize imperfections for a youthful, even complexion. Best of all, the formula contains skin-loving ingredients such as aloe vera extract, vitamins E and B5, and hyaluronic acid to improve the look of skin tone and texture over time.
- Best CC cream for mature skin: CC+ Cream Full-Coverage Foundation with SPF 50+ is a perfect choice if you prefer full coverage. It's still lightweight on the skin and creates a natural finish, but effectively diffuses the look of skin imperfections such as dark spots, fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin tone. Consider it like a brightening color corrector, dark spot concealer, and moisturizing cream all in one. It even has an SPF 50+ to shield your skin from the sun.
4. Apply Thin Layers
Starting with a small amount of product and building up coverage is a crucial step when applying foundation to mature skin. This leads to a more naturally glowy look versus overdone or cakey, and it can also help prevent your foundation from creasing or settling into fine lines. Using a makeup brush, such as Heavenly Luxe Complexion Perfection Brush #7, helps control how much product you apply and lends to a more even finish, too.
Pro Tip: Apply foundation first you're less likely to be heavy-handed in your concealer application. This helps your makeup base look more natural.
How Do You Keep Concealer From Settling in Wrinkles?
One of the biggest frustrations when applying concealer to mature skin is when concealer creases or settles into wrinkles. Take this approach next time and be amazed at the difference!
1. Use Only the Best Eye Cream
As mentioned above, preparing your skin before applying makeup lays the groundwork for a hydrated, plumped, and glowing complexion. Your facial moisturizer is important, but don’t underestimate the power of an eye cream. Eye cream is specially formulated for the delicate, skin around the eyes. You’ll notice it feels thicker and has a powerful ability to visibly plump fine lines and wrinkles in real time.
Best Eye Cream for Mature Skin: Confidence in an Eye Cream Anti-Aging Peptide Eye Cream is a luxuriously creamy formula featuring a powerful 2% Super Peptide Concentrate that visibly improves crow's feet, dark eye circles, lack of firmness, and dryness. Not only will you instantly enjoy a more youthful look, but it helps cover dark circles under eyes on mature skin over time.
Pro Tip: Allow eye cream to dry before applying makeup to help further prevent under eye makeup creases.
2. Choose a Creamy Concealer
Choosing a nourishing, creamy concealer formula is a makeup artist secret when it comes to knowing how to stop concealer from creasing. These creamy formulas boosts hydration to the delicate eye area.
- Best concealer for mature skin: Bye Bye Under Eye Anti-Aging Concealer is our best-selling,* award-winning waterproof concealer. Just one dot of this smooth and creamy formula is all you need to instantly conceal the appearance of dark eye circles, skin redness, age spots, and broken capillaries. It also features our proprietary Expression Proof™ Technology that locks everything into place, and is formulated with skin-loving ingredients such as anti-aging peptides, hydrolyzed collagen, and vitamin E.
3. Apply Concealer Strategically
The way you apply concealer to mature skin is also important in preventing creasing and getting the perfect amount of coverage.
To know where to apply, look straight ahead in a mirror, then lower your head slightly. Take a look under your eyes to identify the dark, shadowy areas. This is where you want to focus your concealer application. Dab or brush the concealer upward to create a naturally contoured and lifted effect.
First, warm a tiny, pinhead-size amount with clean fingers (yes, that’s all you need because one dot does it all!). Then gently tap the concealer onto your skin and blend with your ring finger or the Heavenly Luxe Dual Airbrush Concealer Brush #2.
4. Remove Excess Product
This is an often missed step when applying concealer to mature skin, but taking the extra 15 seconds to remove excess product can make a huge difference in the end result. Simply use a blotting paper or tissue to lightly dab where you just applied concealer. This picks up any excess and further prevents makeup from settling into fine lines and wrinkles. It also creates a more natural finish.
Check out more of our best skincare and makeup for mature skin, then read up on these surprising mature makeup do’s and don’ts.
- “Skin Care and Aging.” National Institute on Aging, https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/skin-care-and-aging.
- “Dry Skin: Who Gets and Causes.” American Academy of Dermatologists. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/a-z/dry-skin-causes.
*#1 concealer formula for IT Cosmetics brand in the US.