Looking to add definition to your eyes but not quite ready to improvise? Follow our quick and easy eyeliner tips and discover the inner makeup artist in you!
Practice With a Gel Pencil Eyeliner
Why do we recommend this type of eyeliner for beginners? Because gel pencil eyeliners glide on with ease. Take, for example, our award-winning Superhero™ No-Tug Gel Eyeliner. Available in 8 high-impact shades, this waterproof, sharpenable pencil delivers super saturated color without tugging on your delicate eyelids. Try this simple technique to get started:
- Gently lift your eyelid to expose your upper lash line.
- Using a pencil with a fresh point, apply the eyeliner by gently pressing and wiggling the liner onto the base of the upper lash line, using short strokes back and forth.
- Draw the line out until you reach the outer corner of your lash line.
- Don’t worry if the line isn’t perfectly straight. In fact, we recommend using your favorite eyeshadow brush to smudge it out for a more natural eye makeup look.
How to Apply Eyeliner for a More Dramatic Look
Once you’ve graduated from a gel pencil, you can take your eye look to the next level with a liquid eyeliner. Our best-selling Superhero™ Liner features an innovative brush hair tip that does the work for you to precisely apply rich, saturated color to your lash line. Here’s all you need to do:
- Starting at the inner corner of your upper lash line, bring the brush hair tip as close to your lash roots as possible. Then, lightly glide it across the base of your upper lash line all the way to the outer corner. To create a thicker line, add slightly more pressure.
- Bring balance to the drama you just created on top by adding a bit of liner to your lower lash line. This time, start from the outer corner and work your way in, stopping when you reach the center of your lower lash line. Lining your eyes all the way around may cause them to appear smaller.
Okay, Ready to “Wing” it?
Winged eyeliner adds length and shape to your eye and is perfect for adding a subtle touch of glam to your entire look. For the best results, you’ll want to use a liquid liner and this technique:
- Start with a steady hand—you might need to anchor your elbow on a table or desk. Begin application at the inner corner of your eye and gently glide across, staying close to your lash roots.
- Don’t rush. Instead, pause a few times as you go to check your line in the mirror. You want the line to look great with eyes open and closed.
- Press lightly to create a thin line or press harder for a thicker line. When you reach the outer corner of your lash line, bring the line out and up slightly to create the desired winged effect.
You can simultaneously give your lashes a lift and add instant eyeliner definition with our best-selling Tightline™ Mascara—a 3-in-1 black primer, mascara and eyeliner! The groundbreaking skinny wand truly gets to the root of each and every lash for beautiful lengthening results. At the same time, it lays down black pigment between your lashes for a tightline eyeliner effect. It’s truly your multitasking must-have for busy mornings!
Now that you’ve mastered every type of eyeliner application, learn more about how to shape your eyebrows.